Monday, May 13, 2013
My dog ate a cicada! Now what?! Pets may think cicadas are a great snack, but eating too many can be dangerous.
Dogs, cats, squirrels, raccoons and birds will have a 4 – 6 week feast this summer as the Brood II 17-year cicadas emerge from the ground throughout the mid-Atlantic. But the Humane Society warns that, like junk food, too much can cause tummy aches and other issues for pets. The Humane Society warned in 2004 that cicadas’ exoskeletons are not digestible, so eating too many could cause constipation or vomiting. (2004 was when the 17-year Brood X cicadas emerged in our region.) Animals could also choke on cicadas’ legs and wings. The Humane Society also noted that cicadas are like little flying toys to dogs and cats — they’re small (but not too small), they fly slowly and usually stay pretty low to the ground. In addition, the exoskeletons …
Friday, June 29, 2012
The sound of fireworks can scare dogs. Here's what you should know to keep your pets safe on July 4.
- VOLUNTEERS IN THE NEWS
- Beth Lawton
Friday, June 29, 2012
If your dog is nervous about thunderstorms, the Fourth of July can be downright terrifying. The first business day after July 4 is one of the busiest days of the year at local pet shelters, according to the Humane Society of the United States, as many dogs run away in fear from the loud noises of fireworks displays. Neil Trent, executive director of the Animal Welfare League of Arlington, said Arlington pet owners are generally well-informed about how to best care for their animals. "Essentially the community in Arlington is well educated in animal issues. The level of care is pretty high," he said. But, to avoid losing your four-legged friend on the Fourth of July, Trent advised leaving them inside – a frightened dog is more likely to …
Monday, June 11, 2012
Pet parents must be vigilant when it comes to keeping their pets safe during hot summer months
No one likes the scorching hot, hazy and humid days of summer, including our pets. While I sit inside my air conditioned house writing this article, the thermostat outside is topping out at 95 degrees. Welcome to summer in the D.C. metro region! I know we all get tired of hearing the same message repeated over and over this time of year, and as responsible pet parents, we would never endanger our pets. Yet, there are still folks out there who don't listen, ignore the warnings or don't care about the risks to their cat or dog. So every year we see news story after news story about dogs left in vehicles to suffer or die, pets left outside in dangerously high temperatures, dogs suffering from heatstroke because their owner took them for a …