Update (11:34 a.m.): The Arlington County Department of Environmental Services has announced that trash and recycling services have been suspended for Tuesday due to the weather. Residents are asked to remove their carts from the curb for the safety and efficiency of snow plows and crews. Also, the Solid Waste Bureau's customer call center will close at noon.
Further, the U.S. Postal Service is asking Northern Virginia residents to clear a path to their mailboxes — including curbside space, walkways and steps, where applicable — to ensure the safety of mail carriers.
Update (10:58 a.m.): All public schools in Arlington County will close at noon Tuesday.
Arlington Public Schools just posted the following announcement on Facebook: "All APS buildings, including schools, offices, pools and community centers will close at Noon today. All afternoon and evening activities including Adult Education classes, meetings, extracurricular activities and events in school buildings are cancelled."
Tuesday was a teacher workday for Arlington Public Schools, except at Barcroft, which the school system closed for the day early on (see below).
Arlington Public Schools spokesman Frank Bellavia told Patch in an email Tuesday morning that he wasn't sure when officials would make a decision about whether to close school on Wednesday.
Update (10:52 a.m.): All Arlington County offices and facilities, including courts and libraries, will close at noon Tuesday due to the expected storm.
The county has information and resources available online at Arlington Snow & Ice Central.
Original article: Arlington Public Schools posted the following operations update on its Facebook page on Tuesday morning:
• Barcroft Elementary School will be closed.
• All community centers and pools in schools will remain open. Check at www.arlingtonva.us for updates on changes in operations.
• All school-sponsored and PTA-sponsored activities, as well as all evening activities and classes are cancelled.
• Essential employees should report to work as scheduled.
• Teachers should do grades from home and the grade preparation deadline will be extended. Please watch for an email with the updated schedule.
• All other employees may telework or take unscheduled leave.
• Employees who are not sure if they are essential or eligible to telework should check with their supervisor before coming in.