Arlington police reported this week 15 cars were broken into at the Fashion Centre at Pentagon City.
The suspect, who wore a white hooded sweatshirt, used a tool to jam the door locks to gain access into the cars sometime between 12:30 and 1:30 p.m. Monday, police spokesman Dustin Sternbeck said in an email.
The stolen items include wallets, credit cards, GPS devices and other electronics, Sternbeck said.
“Visitors to the mall should keep valuables out of sight or lock them in the trunk,” Sternbeck said.
At the Arlington County Police Department’s community forums earlier this fall, crime prevention officers also offered these reminders for car security:
- Lock all car doors
- Never leave a GPS device affixed to the windshield when not in use; remove and store in console, glove box or inside a home
- Lock your car even when parked in a garage
- If your car has an alarm, activate it when the car is not in use
- If you have an alarm service such as On-Star or Lojack, keep current on monthly fees
- Be familiar with you vehicle information (VIN, registration number, insurance carrier) should an incident occur
- Never leave you car idling without someone in the vehicle
- Never leave a spare key hidden within the vehicle
- Never leave a key in the ignition when unattended