If your child is home alone, here are some safety tips that Arlington County Police are sharing:
1. Do not have friends over without an adult in the house to supervise.
2. Keep your doors closed AND locked when you’re home alone.
3. Do not open the door for anyone even if you know the person.
4. Don’t answer the phone and never tell anyone you’re home alone.
5. Make sure you have a trusted neighbor you can go to if you need help and a list of emergency phone numbers to call.
And remember, never hesitate to call the Police if you think you spot suspicious activity. Call 9-1-1 for emergencies, and for non-emergencies call 703-558-2222. For more safety tips, go to arlingtonva.us/police.
Is your child old enough to be at home alone? Here's what Arlington County says:
- 8 years and under : Should not be left alone for any period of time. This includes leaving children unattended in cars, playgrounds and yards.
- 9 to 10 years : Should not be left alone for more than 1 ½ hours and only during daylight and early evening hours.
- 11 to 12 years : May be left alone for up to 3 hours, but not late at night or in circumstances requiring adult supervision.
- 13 to 15 years : May be left unsupervised, but not overnight.
- 16 to 17 years : May be left unsupervised for up to two consecutive overnight periods.