Today (Monday, May 19) is the last day to register to vote for the primary, June 10.
Whoever wins the primary will face Republican Micah Edmond on the ballot in November.
Earlier this year, the man who has held the seat for nearly two dozen years, Congressman Jim Moran, announced his retirement from Congress.
The straw poll was conducted last Thursday night, at a meeting of Dranesville Democrats at the Alden Theatre in McLean. The event was sponsored by the Dranesville District Democratic Committee, the Providence District Democratic Committee and Fairfax County Young Democrats.
The straw poll allowed forum attendees to vote for their top three candidates. The first choice candidate received three votes, the second choice candidate received two votes and the third choice candidate received one vote.
Here's the tally (the link on each name will take you to the candidate's campaign Web site):
- Patrick A. Hope received 229 votes, with 64 first-place votes
- Mark H. Levine received 165 votes, with 41 first-place votes
- Donald S. Beyer, Jr. received 161 votes, with 38 first-place votes
- Adam P. Ebbin received 81 votes, with 12 first-place votes
- William D. "Bill" Euille received 53 votes, with 11 first-place votes
- Lavern J. Chatman received 42 votes, with 8 first-place votes
- Derek S. Hyra received 19 votes, with zero first-place votes