One of the dozen Democrats in the 8th congressional District primary got a boost Saturday when Oprah Winfrey headlined a fundraiser for her campaign in Crystal City.
Democratic congressional candidate Lavern Chatman hosted the event at the Crystal City Marriott. The primary is June 10.
"Stedman and I came here tonight to support Lavern Chatman," said Winfrey, in a news release. "I've seen how Lavern embraced with her whole heart being a host mom to one of my girls, who recently graduated from the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy in South Africa. Lavern makes people feel like they matter, and I see that Lavern is happiest when she is serving others.”
Chatman serves as a “host parent” for one of the graduates of the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls – South Africa while the student is studying in the United States, according to the campaign.
In addition to formerly running the Northern Virginia Urban League as its CEO, Chatman founded the Grandfathers Group mentoring program for at-risk young boys, and co-founded the Nova Coalition, an organization focused on increasing voter participation, voter restoration, and civic engagement. Personally, Chatman mentors a group of 15 young women called the “Fab 15,” and all 15 women attended Saturday's event, she said.
“I will continue to be a champion for Virginia women,” Chatman said. “I am pro pay equity, pro-choice and pro women’s health. I have been in the trenches working with and mentoring young women and girls and I want to keep making a difference for my community in Congress.”
“This was a great event for our campaign and to advance the conversation about what we can do to champion issues that impact women and girls in Virginia,” Chatman said. “Oprah and I share a strong commitment to making a difference for future generations.”
- Alexandrians Mark Levine, Derek Hyra Enter Race for Congress
- Community Leader Lavern Chatman Enters Congressional Race
- State Sen. Adam Ebbin Announces Run for Congress
- Charniele Herring Enters Race for Congress
- Sickles Joins Growing List of Democrats Seeking 8th Congressional District Nod
- Alexandria Mayor Bill Euille Enters Congressional Race
- Patrick Hope Launches Congressional Campaign
- Report: Don Beyer to Enter Race for Congress
- After Jim Moran: Awaiting a Swarm of Potential Successors