Update: Friday evening, organizers of the Rosslyn Jazz Festival announced that the festival will end at 5:30 p.m. Saturday instead of the scheduled 7 p.m. closing time.
Organizers cited thunderstorms forecast for Saturday evening in their decision. The National Weather Service has reported that thunderstorms could start rolling into the area as early as 2 p.m. Saturday.
The schedule for the performers has been adjusted to accommodate all of the acts. Please see the updated times below:
- Afro Blue: 1 to 1:50 p.m.
- René Marie: 2:05 to 2:55 p.m.
- The Don Byron New Gospel Quintet: 3:10 to 4:05 p.m.
- Joshua Redman: 4:20 to 5:25 p.m.
The 22nd annual Rosslyn Jazz Festival, with a lineup that includes local favorite Afro Blue, takes place Saturday.
“It’s one of the largest festivals in Arlington, it’s a free festival, it’s close to the Metro, and it’s a good time,” said Lee Anne McLarty, spokeswoman for the festival.
The event drew about 7,500 people to Rosslyn last year. It takes place at Gateway Park at 1300 Lee Highway.
In addition to the music, the festival features food and craft vendors.
The festival is sponsored by the Rosslyn Business Improvement District and is co-presented by Arlington Cultural Affairs. It will be emceed by on-air personalities from jazz station WPFW 89.3 FM, which will broadcast portions of the event live.
Festival parking is available for $5 beginning at 11 a.m. at 1911 N. Fort Myer Drive. The parking entrance is on North Moore Street.
The Arlington County Police Department will close two traffic lanes and one street for the festival.
From 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday:
- Westbound Lee Highway will be closed from North Lynn Street to Fort Myer Drive. Vehicles can use North Lynn Street to Rosslyn Circle to North Fort Myer Drive as a detour.
- The left traffic lane of eastbound Lee Highway will be closed from Fort Myer Drive to North Lynn Street.
- The left traffic lane of North Lynn Street will be closed from eastbound Lee Highway to westbound Lee Highway.
- In addition, motorists should be on the lookout for temporary "no parking" signs in the area. Illegally parked vehicles may be ticketed or towed. If your vehicle is towed from a public street, call 703-228-4252.