The Metro Board of Directors Tuesday approved an FY15 operating budget that includes fare changes for Metrorail, Metrobus and MetroAccess starting on Sunday, according to a Metro advisory.
The budget advances Metro's strategic plan and includes funding intended to provide safer, better and more service, while continuing safety improvements, the rebuilding of the Metro system, increasing capacity and improving the effectiveness of the current rail and bus networks, according to Metro.
Here's a look at some of the fare changes:
To view new Metrorail fares for your specific trip, use Trip Planner with a date on/after June 29, 2014.
- Fares will increase an average of 3 percent (about 10 cents per trip). Short trips of 3 miles or less will increase from $1.70 to $1.75 during off-peak and from $2.10 to $2.15 during rush hour.
- The maximum rail fare during rush hours will increase to $5.90, from $5.75 today. The off-peak maximum will increase from $3.50 to $3.60.
- A $1 surcharge will continue to be applied for trips taken with a paper farecard.
- Passes will increase to the following prices:
- Unlimited one-day pass $14.50
- Unlimited 7-day pass $59.25
- Unlimited 28-day pass $237
- 7-day "short trip" pass $36
- Regular bus fares will become $1.75, regardless of whether using cash or SmarTrip. Today, fares are $1.60 for SmarTrip and $1.80 cash.
- Express bus fares will increase from $3.65 to $4.00.
- Senior/disabled fares will increase to 85 cents, from 80 cents today.
- There are no changes to existing transfer discounts.
- The 7-Day regional bus pass will increase to $17.50, from $16.00 today.
- Parking rates will increase by 10 cents at all Metro-operated facilities.
- Parking rates will increase an addition 50 cents (total of 60 cents) for Metro-operated facilities in Prince Georges County - except at Landover, Addison Rd and Prince George's Plaza stations
- MetroAccess fares will continue to be 2x the fastest rail or bus trip.
- The maximum MetroAccess fare will be lowered from $7 today to $6.50.
Again, these new fares will take effect Sunday. If you have any questions, contact Metro Customer Service at (202) 637-7000.