VDOT May Charge E-ZPass Fee
Public comments accepted on proposal through June 12.
A proposal under consideration by the Virginia Department of Transportation would assess a monthly fee for E-ZPass users of about $1 per transponder. E-ZPass is the system that allows drivers to pass through toll plazas more quickly by carrying transponders that automatically charge tolls to a registered account.
VDOT has proposed the fee to help defray administrative and operations costs within the state for the service. Most of the E-ZPass toll facilities are not operated by VDOT. The program has grown significantly over the years and will be part of new toll services opening during the next few years.
The proposed monthly fee would cover costs for:
- Purchasing nearly 500,000 transponders
- Implementing a program that offers transponders at various stores in Northern Virginia and eventually Hampton Roads
- Providing service at select DMV locations
- Upgrading information technology to accommodate the expanded program
- Account management and processing of toll transactions
- Customer service and the operation of three customer service centers
The fee — which would be reevaluated on a regular basis — would also help control costs and manage the selection and demand for E-ZPass transponders, according to VDOT.
The Transportation Department will accept comments about the fee through 5 p.m. June 12.
Visit VDOT’s E-ZPass Web page www.virginiadot.org/e-zpass for more information or to provide comments online. Comments may also be submitted via email to email@example.com or standard mail to:
Office Communications – Third Floor/Annex Building
Virginia Department of Transportation
1401 E. Broad St.
Richmond, VA 23219
VDOT expects to make a final decision in June.