Tickets are running out for the 1K Wine Walk this weekend in Crystal City, the annual event that allows patrons to sample 33 different types of wines while making their way through an indoor course.
"There’s plenty of wine and beer, so you are sure to find something you like," said Angela Fox, president and CEO of the Crystal City Business Improvement District, or BID, which hosts the event. "Overall it’s a really fun and laid back day."
The Crystal City BID is a public-private partnership organization that promotes neighborhood businesses. Wine will be poured by the Washington Wine Academy, a Crystal City-based nonprofit that promotes wine education.
"People are surprised at how much art there is in the underground area," Fox said. "The finish line is in the 12th floor of a building so people can get great views and great music."
Many of the "heats," which run every half hour, are already sold out for Saturday, but tickets are still available for the Sunday walks.
If beer is your adult beverage of choice, the 1K Beer Walk (same idea) returns on Jan. 26 and 27.
The wine walk is from 1 to 7 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, starting at the Crystal City Shops, 2200 Crystal Drive, and ending on the 12th floor of 251 18th St. The closest Metro stop is the Crystal City Station.
Tickets for the 1K Wine Walk are $43.50 and that includes 20 tasting tickets and a shirt.
Tickets for the 1K Beer Walk later this month are $38.50 and include 20 tasting tickets and a shirt.
All tickets are available for purchase at WashingtonWineAcademy.org. VIP tickets are also for sale.
See a list of some of the wines that will be distributed for the wine walk:
VIP wines include:
- 2000 Pomerol
Regular wine list (there may be some additions):
- Pratsch Zweigelt (Austria)
- Pratsch Guner Veltliner (Austria)
- Biohof Pratsch Gruner Veltliner Rotenpullen- single vineyard (Austria)
- Besserat de Bellefon Champagne Brut
- Besserat de Bellefon Champagne Brut Rose
- Besserat de Bellefon Champagne Blanc de Blancs
- Hermanos Lurton Rueda White (Spain)
- Lurton Araucano Sauvignon Blanc (Chile)
- Lurton Araucano Cabernet Sauvignon (Chile)
- Lurton Araucano Carmenere (Chile)
- Dr. Pauly Bergweiler Noble House Dornfelder (Germany)
- Dr. Pauly Bergweiler Noble House Riesling (Germany)
- Dr. Pauly Bergweiler Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett (Germany)
- Dr. Pauly Bergweiler Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Spatlese (Germany)
- Dr. Fischer Ockfener Bockstein Riesling QbA (Germany)
- Dr. Fischer Ockfener Bockstein Riesling Kabinett (Germany)
- Broadbent Vinho Verde (Portugal)
- Quinta do Crasto White (Portugal)
- Quinta do Crasto Red (Portugal)
- Casa Ferreirinha Esteva (Portugal)
- Jam Jar Sweet Shiraz
- Jam Jar Moscato
- Rocca Sasyr
- Rocca Chianti Classico 2010
- Feudi Greg Rubrato 2008
- Bertani Velante Pinot Grigio
- Bertani Secco Valpantena 2009
- Planeta Segreta Rosso 2010
- Planeta Segreta Bianco
- Kim Crawford Pinot Grigio
- Kim Crawford Chardonnay
- Nobilo Icon Pinot Noir
- Drylands Estates Sauvignon Blanc