Five Things: Oct. 28, 2011
Five things to know about what's going on in and around Arlington.
1. Leaf collection begins Monday and lasts through Jan. 13, 2012. Leaf bags will be collected one business day after your regular trash collection. Arlington County stresses that leaves will not be collected if they are put in plastic bags. You must use biodegradable leaf bags. Where do you find such bags? Click here.
2. The polls have opened for the 2011 ABBIE Awards. Vote for Arlington's best businesses in 15 categories, including best new business, best neighborhood bar and best community-based nonprofit. Last year, nearly 10,000 people participated in selecting the county's best businesses, according to Arlington Economic Development. Votes can be cast through Nov. 16. Winners will be announced Nov. 29.
3. Artisphere is holding a special Halloween spooky movie night Saturday. "The House on Haunted Hill" plays in the Dome Theatre at 9 p.m., which will be followed by George A. Romero's classic "Night of the Living Dead" at 11 p.m. Each showing costs $8. For more Halloween events this weekend, check out our weekly Get Out column.
4. The 36th Annual Marine Corps Marathon is this weekend. We've got a list of the road closures here.
5. Snow? In October? The Washington Post says it's likely for the district's northern and western suburbs -- so Arlington may be spared. If flakes do fall, though, we'd be happy to showcase your photos and videos! Email email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org or click on "upload photos" in any story we post about the weather.
Have a great weekend!