Five Things: Oct. 21, 2011
Five things to know about what's going on in and around Arlington.
1. Arlington's first-ever Puzzle Festival will take place 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 5., at Central Library. Billed as "a celebration of words and logic, numbers and thinking," this event includes speakers, competitions and access to other puzzle lovers. The festival is sponsored by the Friends of the Arlington Public Library.
2. Speaking of the library, your library card now lets you save 15 percent off tickets to any Signature Theatre events (except Saturday nights). This promotion lasts through July 2012.
3. U.S. Senate candidate and former Gov. Tim Kaine will host a fundraising reception for Democratic state Senate candidate Barbara Favola from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. Saturday at a private residence in McLean. Suggested contributions are $100 per individual or $150 for couples. Sponsorships range from $250 to $1,000.
4. Arlington County volunteers have surveyed more than 150 homeless people, and the 100 most vulnerable will be given a place to live and a case worker on the county's dime, according to the Washington Examiner. It's part of the county's 100 Homes campaign.
5. The Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing is looking for volunteers to help staff an upcoming health fair. More details here.
Have a great weekend!