Kitchen Fire Damages Clarendon Restaurant
A fire broke out this morning at the Delhi Club.
A one-alarm kitchen fire broke out in the duct work of the Delhi Club, located at 1135 N. Highland St., in Clarendon around 11:15 a.m. Thursday morning.
As of 12:09 p.m., there were still approximately 30 firefighters on the scene. The fire has been contained. The restaurant suffered smoke and water damage. Some residual smoke spread to nearby businesses, including the Hard Times Cafe, said Lt. Ed Hughes, deputy fire marshal.
No injuries were reported.
Mir Hussain, a manager at the Delhi Club, said the fire started after a light bulb exploded. The front of the restaurant was not affected by the fire, but the kitchen is damaged.
"We will reopen soon. Right now it's hard to tell when," Hussain said.
Michael Woodson, an assistant fire marshal, said the department was unaware of a light bulb explosion. The fire started in the hood system over the stove, he said.
He said the Delhi Club had "a lot of violations." Officials are in the process of reviewing the violations with the restaurant manager and possibly issuing citations.
Clarendon Boulevard, between Washington Boulevard and Garfield Street, was closed for approximately one hour, but has re-opened.
Lauren Sausser contributed to this report.